According to Skyscanner data, 55% of flight searches by travellers in India over the past year* were made on mobile, while searches on desktop and tablet were at 39% and 6% respectively.
To meet the demands of this increasingly mobile audience, Skyscanner has rolled out exciting new updates to its flights app, available on iOS and will be rolled out on Android soon. The refreshed app includes improvements to its user interface, design, functionality, and the introduction of new and smarter features.
“Based on our data, consumers are increasingly using mobile apps to plan their travel around the world. With the technology landscape evolving at a feverish pace, travellers are constantly seeking solutions that are not only progressive in nature, but at the same time provide a convenient and seamless travel booking experience. Our refreshed flights app will further improve the travellers’ user experience, enabling them to find the perfect flight while they’re on the go.” Kavitha Gnanamurthy, Senior Marketing Manager, Skyscanner India
Based on Skyscanner search data from September 2014 – August 2015
The Refreshed Skyscanner Flights App: What You Need to Know
1.Recent searches now saved to your home screen
The new flights app remembers recent searches, which means you won’t lose your important research if you are multitasking. Once logged in, these searches will sync-up across all other connected devices that uses the Skyscanner flight app to enjoy an integrated experience across screens.
2.Top offers from your location
Calling out to all budget-conscious travellers and last-minute bookers looking for the best deals! This new section of the app highlights a number of low-cost flights to a wide variety of destinations from your nearest airport.
3.Searching everywhere simplified
The inspirational ‘Everywhere’ search is now much simpler to use with new design layouts. Travellers can browse through flights to tons of top destinations, find the best deal from your nearest airport and go!
4.Colour-coded calendar and graph
A splash of colour to our chart view means that you now have a colour-coded calendar and graph at your disposal, giving you an instant overview of which days are cheaper to fly on.
• Red: the most expensive option
• Amber: everything in between, but these are not the lowest fares
• Green: flights are cheap as chips – go forth and book!
5.Enhanced results filters
Sometimes cheapest doesn’t always mean the best flight – a traveller may want to avoid a red-eye flight or a long layover. Taking into account all these factors, we’ve introduced a Skyscanner rating based on price, flight duration and number of stops. With the new app, flights can be filtered by price, duration, take-off and landing time, or by this new rating – the shortest and cheapest flights are always highlighted.
• Skyscanner is a leading global travel search company providing free search of flights, hotels and car hire.
• Founded in 2003, Skyscanner helps meet the travel planning needs of over 40 million people each month.
• Skyscanner is available in 30 languages.
• Skyscanner’s highly-rated free mobile apps have been downloaded over 35 million times.
• The privately-owned company employs over 700 staff and has nine global offices in Edinburgh, Singapore, Beijing, Shenzhen, Miami, Barcelona, Glasgow, Sofia and Budapest.
• For more information, please visit www.skyscanner.co.in and our travel news and features.