Today, without mobile phones our life is incomplete. Besides connecting to our friends and relatives through mobile phones, we also do the many other things like purchasing, paying bills, etc. But do you know when and where the first mobile phone was invented and who the inventor was. Science has given us this unique tool, the mobile phone, can connect us with our relatives sitting in other countries and places without being face to face.
World’s first mobile phone: World’s first mobile phone was manufactured by an American engineer Martin Cooper, which he displayed and demonstrated in front of world on 3rd April, 1973. This was world’s first phone, which was made for common man, because earlier radio phones and wireless phones were available, but mostly used by army. Martin Cooper called first time at the headquarters of Bell Labs, located in New Jersey, from his office located in Manhattan. Martin Cooper, along with Motorola, the leading mobile company of today, built this mobile phone and later also became the CEO of this company. Because of invention of world’s first mobile phone, Martin Cooper was awarded with Marconi Award for the extraordinary work done in the field of communication in 2013.
Mobile phone service launched in different countries: World’s first commercial cellular phone service was started in 1979 by Japanese company NTT in Tokyo. In 1981, mobile phone services were started in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden named Nordic Mobile Telephone (NMT). In 1983, US-based telephone network, named Ameritech, was launched in Chicago, USA. In India, first non-commercially mobile phone service was launched on 15th August, 1995 in Delhi.
Some interesting facts about first mobile phone
- On April3, 1973, the first mobile weighing 1.1 kg, was 13-cm thick and 4.45- cm wide, taking 10 hours to fully charge, despite that it could only last for 20 minutes, was demonstrated.
- IN 1983, the first mobile handset, Dyna TAC 8000x, was launched by Motorola that costed approximately two lakh rupees.
- In 1992, the first mobile phone, Nokia 1011, that could be used anywhere in the world was launched.
- In 1999, the Simon SL10, the first slider mobile phone, was launched.
- In 2000, Blackberry 5810 the first phone with email capability.
- In 2001, NTT Docomo, the world’s firt 3G phone was launched.
- In 2002, Nokia 7650, the first model to have integrated digital camera was launched.
- In 2002, LG Prada, the first touch screen mobile phone was launched.
- In 2008, the first iPhone was launched in India.
- In 2008, HTC Dream, the first Android phone was launched in India.
Today, we cannot imagine life without mobile phones.